Hamilton’s Vernal Pools
Hamilton has several certified vernal pools and the potential for many more.
What is a vernal pool?
“Vernal pools are small, shallow ponds characterized by lack of fish and by periods of dryness. Vernal pool habitat is extremely important to a variety of wildlife species including some amphibians that breed exclusively in vernal pools, and other organisms such as fairy shrimp, which spend their entire life cycles confined to vernal pool habitat. Many additional wildlife species utilize vernal pools for breeding, feeding and other important functions.” Source: Mass.gov.
Resources on verbal pools.
- Natural Heritage & Endangered Species Program (NHESP)
- Mass.gov Vernal Pool Certification
- Mass.gov Vernal Pools
- Mass Audubon “Vernal Pools”
- Cape Ann Vernal Ponds Team
- Vernal Pool Conservation and Management